Books, articles, etc. that have been and are helpful:
- Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men, by Lundy Bancroft
- 7 Steps to Taking Back Your Life Free Yourself from an Abusive Relationship, by Andrea Lissette and Richard Kraus
- I Can’t Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors, by Aphrodite Matskis
- The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms, by Mary Beth Williams and Soili Poijula
- Working in the Dark: Keeping Your Job While Dealing with Depression, by Fawn Fitter and Beth Gulas
Just some stuff that helps me through the days…
I cannot change the past, but I can change my way of perceiving the past, and I do not have to perpetuate it as the reality of the present and the future.– Sister Dang Nghiem
The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children.–Dietrich Bonhoeffer
It has been said that time heals all wounds. I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue, and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. –Rose Kennedy
I think you’re right that he’s got a problem. But, you know sometimes, well…there’s something you have to learn as you grow up. Some people make their own problems. And they never stop hurting themselves and messing up the people around them. And when that’s the case, then you shouldn’t keep hurting yourself for them. — quote from the character Bob Gu in Vernor Vinge’s book, Rainbows End
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.–Margaret Mead
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.
— Kahlil Gabrhan
A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”
He slapped my face and he shook me like a rag doll
Don’t that sound like a real man? — Miranda Lambert, Gunpowder and Lead
On supporting a loved one who is in an abusive relationship:
Be there and never turn away. Be there and always show support. Don’t ever give up. –Heidi Markow, founder of Beginning Over Foundation